A great breakfast option for the whole family is a nutrient rich green drink. All ingredients should be fresh and mostly organic. See Why and What I Should Eat Organic ?
Ingredients per serving (I typically set up one container for each family member):
- 1-2 frozen juiced wheatgrass cubes or 1 cup spinach or 1 cup kale (lightly steamed if concerned with potential thyroid issues)
- 1/2 zucchini and/or ⅓ cucumber
- 1/4 bunch parsley or cilantro
- 1/2 avocado
- 2 tablespoons of fish oil and or 2 tablespoons MCT oil or 2 tbs of coconut oil
- 2 tbsp of soaked nuts and or seeds (mix and match pumpkin, walnut, flax, hemp, almond, macadamia, palo azul)
- 1/2 pear or apple (cored, washed and leave peel) or 1/3 banana (I typically use these fruits only for the kids)
- 1/2 cup frozen berries
- 1-2 scoops of whey protein or vegetable protein powder
- water and/ice
- Combine all ingredients in your preferred blender.
- Blend until liquid.
- Add 1/2 cup of ice if not using frozen berries or frozen wheatgrass juice.
- Blend ice until completely smooth.
- Add protein powder (pulse for only a few seconds to preserve protein and avoid foamy shake).
- If fruit is not sweet enough add xylitol or stevia to taste to avoid insulin spike (natural sweeteners such as honey or maple syrup may be an option but will trigger insulin response similar to other sugars) Cheers! Salud!